Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul (Petrov)
The Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul (Petrov) is one of the dominating features of the city of Brno. It was originally the site of a Romanesque church; in the 14th century it was re-built in the Gothic style. Right from its inception, Petrov was an important church within the city. The cathedral had 21 altars at the end of the 15th century. Unfortunately the original cathedral was damaged in the year 1643 during the Swedish siege, and was burned down. Between 1743 and 1748 the aisle was re-designed into the shape which it has today. The 84-metre-high towers were constructed to the Gothic revival designs of the architect August Kirstein in 1904–5 at the rear of the cathedral because there was insufficient space at the front.